Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Proverbs 31:11

Each week I pick a different verse to study and reflect on and pray about. Looking at it everyday seems to bring new challenges with the verse. I read over my notes and seem to find more that God's telling me to add. I think I could spend a month on one verse and still not digest everything! 
 
Proverbs 31:11 "Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value." NIV

Full confidence means absolute trust in all areas. My husband should be able to trust me in all aspects of our marriage. Several things came to mind as areas I struggle with when I read the devotion from Women Living Well on this verse. Courtney, the author of the bible study booklet, highlighted 7 different areas in which your husband should have full confidence in you.
Money
Children
Home
Reputation
Faithfulness
Emotions
Choices
I know the hardest things I have from that list is Money, Home and Emotions
I am a math teacher...I can budget, but I fail at this in our marriage. I am praying for strength this week in working on our family budget and learning to spend wisely. I am not a wife who goes shopping all the time, I rarely buy things for myself and when I do they are normally on sale. I am a pretty thrifty shopper, but still it's hard to have any money left at the end of the month. I am praying that God will help me be a better "budgeter" for my family this week.
 Romans 13:7-8 ESV Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed. Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.

The other area that seems the hardest for me is home. I am not a wonderful "Betty Crocker, Martha Stewart, June Cleaver" type of wife or mother. I try to keep the clothes washed and dishes washed, but that doesn't mean that the laundry actually got put up or that the dishwasher has been emptied...The laundry is probably still in the basket or on the couch in my bedroom and the dishes are probably in the dishwasher. If you look in the corners you will see cobwebs or dust bunnies I am sure. I try to keep the house "picked up", but don't give it the attention I should. I realize that when I get home from work I'm usually tired and just to be honest-lazy. I am praying this week that God shows me how to find the time and energy to keep an clean and neat house for my family. I don't make many home-cooked meals, and when I do it usually involves boxes and cans; I know that's not home-made.When my husband is off of work one night this week, I will do my best to make a nice meal that we can sit down at the table and eat together. I want to make that a priority, not eating in front of the television every night, but actually eating at the table and having family discussions. I feel like a clean and orderly home will show my family that I love them. We definitely overuse the "I love you" phrase at my house. I want my actions to show them I love them just as much or more than I say I love you.

A friend posted this video on Facebook and I realized that it sort of fit into what I was saying about being a good housewife. I should do it out of love for my family and even when it seems no one notices the little things, God does.
1 John 3:18 GOD’S WORD Translation (GW) Dear children, we must show love through actions that are sincere, not through empty words.

 
Emotions... I sometimes do not tell my husband or anyone else what is on my mind. He is my best friend, but I am guilty of not sharing all things with him. Instead I keep it to myself. This can be a good quality, because I try not to say things in anger or talk about useless drama with him. I just need to remember that sometimes I need to express my feelings, and do it in a loving way. If something is bothering me, he can't read my mind and I am soooo guilty of just saying "I'm fine" or "Nothing's wrong" with a smile on my face.
I learned as soon as I got married that it doesn't do any good to yell at my husband when I'm upset. He always told me that he could hear fine... I have learned over the years of our marriage to keep thoughts to myself that will not be helpful to our marriage. But I need to let my emotions settle down if I'm upset, and then convey my feelings to him instead of keeping them inside. I guess it boils down to fear... I am afraid that I will make someone upset at me or disappoint them if I let my emotions get the best of me or speak what's on my mind. I have always seemed to worry about what others thought about me. I believe one of my spiritual gifts is that of a "peacemaker." My grandmother had this gift, and it is definitely a good gift to have, but I need to know when to keep the peace and when to speak my mind in a loving Christ-like way. This week, God is showing me to be bold and courageous for Him. I need to be a light for God and let good emotions show to others in my life, starting at home.

Another thing God has laid on my heart is a women's devotion group, so here it goes. I'm not much of a leader and definitely don't feel like I am "good enough" to lead a Bible study, but it is God who is speaking to me and if He needs to speak through me. Just starting small with one friend and hoping to grow in our friendship and our relationship with God. Who knows what God has planned. We know according to Jeremiah that His plans are to propser us and give us hope for the future.

Jeremiah 29:11 New International Version (NIV) For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

 1 Peter 3:13-14 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good?  But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened."

Isaiah 41:13 For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment