Monday, March 11, 2013

Proverbs 31:13

Week 4
"She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands" Proverbs 31:13

Ok, so I have no idea how to select wool or even know what flax is...But I do understand the other part of this verse. I think in application of today's society, the first part may be a little dated when comparing to our lives. I feel that whatever everyday chores we do we should do with eager hands and an eager heart. 

Do I actually get eager to get home from work to wash clothes, cook supper, and straighten up the house? No I wouldn't use eager as the adjective I have in mind. :) But we should be eager to perform those tasks that wives and mothers are expected to do with a happy heart. I think that is something that a lot of ladies probably relate to. We do all these things, sometimes grumbling to ourselves or aloud to others. Wondering to ourselves what the point of the chores are because it is simply going to get messed up again.This is not the attitude we should have. We should be eager to make the house clean and orderly for our family to show our love and respect for the home that we've created together. 

We should also be eager to do these things because God trusted women with the role of housekeeper. Once again I think of The Invisible Woman video clip I posted earlier. Others may not see and appreciate what we do, but God does. He appreciates all the things we do in love for others.

Colossians 3:23 ESV

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, 

1 Timothy 5:14 ESV

So I would have younger widows marry, bear children, manage their households, and give the adversary no occasion for slander.



When I put off housework, it takes forever to get things organized and clean again. Since I started this Proverbs 31 Journey, I have vowed to myself to keep a neat and orderly home to show my family my love for them. I cleaned really good before we had the whole family over after church a few weeks ago. Since then, I have done a few things every afternoon to keep the house clean and in order. I make sure before I go to bed that there are no dishes in the sink or laundry waiting to be washed. Then one day I swept, one day I dusted, one day I moped the floor, etc. This is so I don't have so much pile up at one time, nor do I overwhelm myself with a lot of chores at one time. When that happens, I know I don't have an eager heart to clean. But as long as I stay on top of things, I have a real happiness in my heart knowing the house is clean and presentable if we had guests to drop by.

Titus 2:5 ESV

To be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.

Since I have been caught up with my housework, I have actually had more "me" time. Instead of staying busy washing, cleaning, etc. I have more time to read, relax, and reflect (my new favorite hobbies). I have really been enjoying my Nook Color. I keep a book open on there all the time as well as the Message Bible app I downloaded. For church and studies, I use the NIV version, but in trying to read the Bible through, I have found the Message Bible flows more like a book and I find it easier to understand. I am still in Genesis, but plan on reading through the entire Bible. I have no idea how long it will take, but we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment