Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Proverbs 31:12

 Week 3
"She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." Proverbs 31:12

She brings him good, not harm. I know sometimes I probably hurt my husband's feelings at some point. Am I bringing him good when I hurt his feelings? No. Is it possible to bring anyone good every day of your life??? Does that mean we won't have a bad day every now and then? No...I believe it means that consciously I need to try every day to bring joy to my husband. Make him feel good. We all need "boosters" for our self-esteem. We should be constantly building each other up!

Not only should I bring him joy, but make sure my words and actions portray the joy he brings to me. This means not talking bad to him, tearing him down and not talking about him to others tearing down his reputation. This goes back to vs. 11. He should have full confidence that I will bring  honor to him.  Not to say I don't get frustrated at times when he forgets to take out the garbage, or tracks mud onto the floor I just swept. But those are little things. " Don't sweat the small stuff!" Be thankful for every day you have with your spouse and try to bring them joy. It will bring joy to you to see the one you love happy.

Big picture- Build him up so he knows how much I value him as a friend, husband, provider, and father. I don't think I tell him in words enough how much I appreciate him. This I need to work on.

I tend to show my appreciation more than thanking him by verbally telling him:
Maybe it would be in the form of making his favorite meal, or buying him a little happy, leaving him a love note, sending him an unexpected sincere text to make him smile, sharing a private joke with him, finding time in our busy schedules to have some intimacy at a random time during the day, offering to rub his back when he gets home from work, doing a chore around the house that he normally does, giving him a free night to spend with his buddies, or maybe it's as small as laying out his clothes for him if he's running late.
But just like we tend to overuse "I love you", It probably wouldn't hurt to overuse "Thank you for everything you do to love, provide, and support our family"

I feel like one of the most important things in keeping your marriage "alive" is bringing each other joy. I feel like I have the heart of a servant. I used to waitress we first got married. I really enjoyed it! I liked making sure my customers needs were met. This made them happy and in return made me happy. I actually really enjoy fixing my husband and son a plate when supper is ready and delivering it to the table or living room. Making other people happy brings me joy.

Mark 10:45
"For even the son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many"

This week I am praying for God to help me always bring good not harm to my husband, family, and friends. Help the words that come out of my mouth bring only good and build others up. Help me to steer clear of idle gossip. This helps no one!!

 Proverbs 16:28
A perverse person stirs up conflict, and a gossip separates close friends.
 Proverbs 11:13
A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy person keeps a secret.



2 comments:

  1. I think what you said about not speaking ill of our husbands to other people is SO important. As women we like to talk about what's bothering us to other women, but it would be wise to keep bashing our husbands as an off limits subject. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a hard thing to do sometimes because we all need to vent, but we need to do it in a Christ-like way. Thank you for commenting! I love to connect with new people!

      Delete